FrenziedFifth

Just another Edublogs site

EDUC 6135 Week 1 Blog Post: Amanda Valente

on January 8, 2022

EDUC 6135 Distance Learning

Week 1 Assignment: Blog Post 

Amanda Valente 

Despite growing notararity in the last few years, distance learning has been around for nearly a century, in some form (Simonson, Zvacek & Smaldino, 2019). Throughout history distance learning may have been seen as correspondence studies at first, then improving with the addition of electronic communications, then to distance teaching within universities (Simonson, Zvacek & Smaldino, 2019). Distance learning has recently exploded in just about every sector and can be found in all developing countries, as well as developing countries (Moller, Foshay, & Huett, 2008). According to Simonson (in Laureate Education, n.d.) distance learning has grown tremendously in the last five years and is widely adopted, respected, accepted, and even expected in today’s world. As with any other facet of education, distance learning has evolved over time to include changing technologies and meet the needs of the students it serves. Within this week’s resources, it is abundantly clear that distance education can come in a variety of forms and can vary from person to person. Technological know-how, one’s profession, and experience can all play into to quality of experience with distance learning. 

The definition of distance learning has evolved and is going to continue to evolve. Technology, the world, the way we do business, and even the needs of a learner has changed over time. According to Moller, Foshay & Huett, 2008), learning models have changed over time that include web-based instruction, where students can participate in digital learning communities. According to Targamadze and Petrauskiene (2008), technology and globalization are directly impacting teaching and learning. Distance learning’s focus is to provide education services to a student at their home or place of work, on their own time table (Targamadze & Petrauskiene, 2008). Simonson, Zvacek and Smaldino (2019) shared that the four main components of distance education are institutionally based, interactive via telecommunications, have a separation of teacher and student, and have shared resources and learning experiences. In my opinion, technology and a greater demand for knowledge dissemination at a faster rate has helped contribute to the widespread acceptance of distance learning. Simonson, Zvacek and Smaldino (2019) indicated that electronic media plays an important role in distance learning. Obviously, over the past 20 years, the Internet has changed dramatically and has helped improve communications worldwide. In addition, the Internet has become more reliable, faster, and easier to navigate. Distance learning has been able to use the Internet to improve its own function and dissemination of knowledge. 

Prior to starting this course, my own perception of distance learning was limited to envisioning online courses through colleges and universities. I pictured exactly what we experienced with Walden University. My view changed at first in 2020 when I began to teach virtually, myself, during the start of the global pandemic. Like many schools across the country, my school was closed for health concerns and school had to resume, but it had to be done online. Therefore, my idea of distance learning changed to include both synchronous and asynchronous learning. Through the use of Zoom for live meetings and Google Classroom to assign work, I have worked tirelessly to create an augmented learning experience for my fifth graders. Even though it has been good to be able to teach virtually at times, no one really knows the full impact of virtual instruction on K-12 students. According to Maggio et al (2021) data and information about the psychological effects virtual learning has made on our students is still being determined as the pandemic continues to roll on. Maggio’s et al (2021) study showed many negative impacts on the psychological well-being of students who participated in distance learning during the pandemic. I have to wonder if this kind of distance learning will begin to subside or at least taper off once it is not so readily needed anymore because of the pandemic? Finally, my own definition of distance learning evolved once more as I began to understand how it can permeate other sectors. Private companies, businesses, government and military agencies have all been known to provide distance education programs for their employees. Prior to this course, I had not really considered this to be included in my distance learning definition, but now I do. 

My revised definition of distance learning includes all students in K-12 and college level students, who use the Internet or digital classrooms to gain knowledge, communicate and participate in a learning environment, as well as any adult who participates in digital workshops, digital instruction for their own personal gain or for their profession. There are a plethora of Web 2.0 tools out there today that make learning in a digital world a bit easier on both the student and the teacher. As an adult distance learner, one might engage in distance learning for personal gain, like taking an online cooking course. Other adults may receive distance education as a function of their profession, like taking a course on dyslexia and earning a certificate in the topic, or taking courses to help become more proficient in programs with Google. I still believe that distance learning requires students and teachers to be separated geographically and that resources must be shared to create a learning experience. Distance education, as described by Gunawardena and McIsaac, 2013), is a two-dimensional framework that includes dialog (student to student and student to teacher) and structure (educational content created in a way that will meet the learners’ needs). Kandrmir and Cakmak (2021) noted that three types of interactions of quality must exist for effective distance learning. Those interactions are: learner-content; learner-teacher; learner-learner. With my broadened understanding of distance learning, I can now see how those interactions and structure can be present in any sector with any type of learner, not just college level courses. 

Keegan (in Simonson, Zvacek & Smaldino, 2019) shared the equivalency theory of American distance education to be an electronic linking of instructors to students through a virtual classroom and that equivalent learning experiences should be provided to each learner regardless of distance. Furthermore, the expectations of learners regardless of distance should also be equal. I do not know where the future of distance education is headed. I don’t know that I ever would have imagined in my lifetime the need to live through and teach through a global pandemic. I certainly never thought I would see a time when schools would close for health concerns. With that said, here we are. We are in 2022 and I am still teaching remotely at times. I personally feel that distance education is here to stay. However, as new technologies and tools emerge, I think the quality of distance learning will improve. I also feel that with time instructional approaches and content delivery systems will continue to improve. With those improvements, I think more people will be willing to participate in distance learning than ever before. Distance learning is here to stay and I know that with more people participating, more studies being conducted, and more research on the topic, it will only help the field maintain its place in the world of education. 

References

Gunawardena, C. N., & McIsaac, M. S. (2013). Distance education. In the Handbook of research on educational communications and technology (pp. 361–401). Routledge.

Kandemir, B., & Çakmak, E. K. (2021). Structure in Distance Learning: A Systematic Literature Review. Participatory Educational Research, 8(4), 139–170. https://doi.org/10.17275/per.21.83.8.4

Maggio, M. G., Stagnitti, M. C., Calatozzo, P., Cannavò, A., Bruschetta, D., Foti Cuzzola, M., Manuli, A., Pioggia, G., & Calabrò, R. S. (2021). What about the Consequences of the Use of Distance Learning during the COVID-19 Pandemic? A Survey on the Psychological Effects in Both Children and Parents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(23). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182312641

Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Huett, J. (2008). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 1: Training and development). TechTrends, 52(3), 70-75.

Simonson, M., Zvacek, S., & Smaldino, S. (2019). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (7th ed.) Information Age Publishing.

Targamadze, A., & Petrauskiene, R. (2008). The Quality of Distance Learning in the Situation of Technological Change. Quality of Higher Education, 5, 74–93.