FrenziedFifth

Just another Edublogs site

EDUC Week 4 Blog Post

on March 28, 2022

Dear Readers,

Thank you for returning to my blog to learn more about my journey with project management and instructional design. This week we heard from voices in the field that explained how critical creating a schedule for the project is. Stolovitch (in Walden University, LLC, n.d.a.) shared with us the project management is about managing people, resources (such as time) and all the related activities. Creating a timeline that has all of the project activities listed as entries and labeled with high, medium, low priority (Stolovictch, in Walden University, LLC, n.d.a.). Once the task list is completed and completed, a start date can be identified (Stolovitch in Walden University, LLC, n.d.a.). 

Be Flexible

Despite your best efforts in planning and organizing the tasks, a good project manager must be flexible and closely monitor the tasks and the timeline (Stolovitch in Walden University, LLC, n.d.a.). If changes to the project timeline or overall plan need to be implemented, it is critical to communicate the change to all members and stakeholders. One strategy before the project sets off to try to get ahead of too many changes, it is recommended by Stolovitch (in Walden University, LLC, n.d.a.) to meet with team members to clear up ambiguities. Smith (2011) shared that when it comes to juggling everything that comes with managing an instructional design project, collaborative timeline software exists to help organizations. Software like Tenrox Project Workforce Management or Intuit’s Quickbooks (Smith, 2011).  It is nice to know that there are tech tools out there that can help a project manager effectively create a timeline. 

Speaking of Tools…

On the topic of tech and tools that can assist instructional design project managers, there are many online resources that would be helpful or useful for instructional designers with regard to planning and creating a schedule. 

After conducting a web search, I found two valuable resources that a project manager could use to create a plan and a schedule. 

Resource 1:

The first resource I found is a blog – Instructional Design by Nicole Papaioannou, PhD. 

https://www.yourinstructionaldesigner.com/

Why I Like It:

First, I like this resource because it operates like a blog. The claim on the main page of the blog is that it provides a great collection of best practices, tips, and inspiration for ID, corporate training, and eLearning. This blog has extremely relevant blog post articles about current trends in instructional design. From reading several of the posts, this information could help inform my own instructional design practice, in particular planning and creating a schedule. I particularly like a post called: 7 Phrases to Stop Saying in Instructional Design. Although, at first glance, this topic does not appear to directly relate to planning and creating a schedule, with a deeper look it may. For example, instructional designers are natural fixers and overpromising, as Budrovich commented (in Walden University, LLC, n.d.b.) is something that instructional design project managers need to avoid, as it will translate to getting off schedule. For example, instead of saying, “Sure, we can add that, too,” we should say, “How does this support the performance we set out to achieve?” (https://www.yourinstructionaldesigner.com/) This is useful and very practical, in my opinion. Knowing how to evade certain pitfalls like scope creep can help a project manager stay on task. 

Resource 2: 

The second resource I found is also a blog: iSpring- eLearning Blog

https://www.ispringsolutions.com/blog/50-best-instructional-design-software-tools

Why I Like It:

Even though I chose two blogs for this assignment, I do really feel like each is useful in its own right. This blog caters more to eLearning project managers and instructional designers, but I think it also packs a lot of value inside as well. For example, a blog post from March 25, 2022, shares out 50+ instructional design software tools that were highly rated in 2022 (https://www.ispringsolutions.com/blog/50-best-instructional-design-software-tools) .  This is an interesting read that shares practical tools. Trello is mentioned on this blog post as a resource that can be used to help project managers visualize the tasks. This is a free tool that would help a project manager in creating those task list entries and analyze them before setting up a start date (Stolovitch in Walden University, LLC, n.d.b.). Visuals are also great and can truly help others stay on task. 

In closing, I am sure there are a tremendous amount of other blogs, resources, message boards out there that can be useful. I tend to gravitate towards blogs because they pull in the best of news, practical approaches, and current trends in the field. 

Thanks,

Amanda Valente

References

Smith, S. H. (2011, August 1). Juggling it all: how an IT firm uses project management software to build a collaborative timeline. Black Enterprise, 42(1), 34.

Walden University, LLC. (Executive Producer). (n.d.a). Creating a project schedule [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Walden University, LLC. (Executive Producer). (n.d.b.). Practitioner voices: Overcoming ‘scope creep’ [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

2 Responses to “EDUC Week 4 Blog Post”

1. Leanne Suttles says:

Hi Amanda,
    I enjoyed the two blogs you shared. I too learn so many things about project management and instructional design from blogs and designers I interact with on LinkedIn.
    One tool you mentioned was Trello. I do use that tool in my current workplace. One of my tasks at work is to work with your national related services team. Since providing services to our students is time sensitive, we use a Trello board to track students, assign service providers, and track timelines.
    I could see using Trello as a project management tool in Instructional Design because Trello allows the access and tracking of outside apps and tools. For example, an SME could share their information with the team via Dropbox or Google Drive onto a Trello card. In turn, those who have access to the Trello board can click the link to Dropbox or Google drive and have instant access to the SME’s information.

2. Timothy Ford says:

Greetings Amanda,
    Thank you for introducing me to the tool, Trello. After perusing the site, it appears that it is very functional and is great in project management, from flipping houses to finding solutions for a school. Also, it appears that this tool is easy to use with other tools. The tool seems to give instant information, which helps with time management.